Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

What a day Saturday was.  Thank you first of all to everyone who has contributed time, funds, energy, and support over the last 7 weeks.  I really thought when I had signed up for the 100 Miles of Nowhere I was getting myself into a hole I was not sure I could dig myself out of.  This feeling was made worse when I had committed myself to sponsors purchasing miles - I could not back out at that point.  You then could imagine my excitement when I not only finished but won my division!  That is right I took first place in the GOZO Tri-City +250 Pound Division.  

The day started out really early with me on the road right at 4am.  I was so excited to try out the bike with its new adjustments, with pedals and cycling shoes.  I was quickly amazed at the additional power and muscle groups that can be harnessed with proper shoes.  The bike too was much more comfortable after being properly fitted. 

The first lap or two was a ton of fun.  The air was crisp and the streets were empty.  I enjoyed the sights and smells of downtown Gilbert where shops and restaurants were preparing for the busy weekend day ahead.  During the third lap the sun began to show itself and quickly the temperature began to climb. 

The fourth lap my very own paparazzi showed up and attempted to snap shots.  Aside from me, I think my mom was the most excited for the days adventure.  She was upset that she had overslept and could not be there for the start of the day.  I first saw her as she drove past me and pulled off to a street on the right.  I sped up a bit and did not allow her enough time to get out of the truck and someplace she could take pictures.  She went past me again and still this time did not allow herself enough time to set up before I went by.  Third time was a charm and she finally got some pictures of me. 

This game of hop scotch continued the entire morning.  I stopped for my first break after mile 50.  I returned home and refueled and stretched the legs a bit.  I was only home a short time and got back on the bike. 

It was during miles 60 to 70 that I found the ride to be the most challenging.  At about mile 62 my left foot was hurting me so bad I had to stop and move it around a bit.  During the ten mile loop I stopped twice to loosen the left shoe and allow the foot to rest.  The entire loop I utilized the new shoes and pedals to do more pulling a less pushing to allow minimize discomfort in the foot. 

At mile 70 I took a second break.  I returned home and refueled again.  By this time the sun was out in full force and beating down on me.  The temperatures were rising and my energy was deflating.  It was now nine o'clock and I had wanted to finish at 11am so I knew I needed to get back out there and finish. 

The most difficult part of the last 30 miles was mental.  I was tired of the same scenery and the constant reminders of how far I had to go.  I got tired of seeing the same youth groups on the corner trying to get me to go in and have my bike washed at the gas station (seriously I think there were about 10 groups raising money along my route).  I also began to have a really hard time with the photography.  I knew I was tired and going slow but this was exaggerated by having a truck with its hazard lights on breaking to slow enough that my little brother could snap some pictures.  After a while of this I finally had to tell them to back of a bit and that they were making it much more difficult on me. 

With that said, let me also mention that I do appreciate having the pictures.  They record the raw emotion as well as my current physical state (legs are looking pretty good while there is a huge mid-section that could use some work).  There were a lot of pictures I just as soon destroy than post here for all to see.  I look so wide and so big it embarrasses me.  While a very select few I will cherish as memory of this great accomplishment.  The bad and ugly pictures will serve as motivation for me while the good ones will keep the past alive in memory.

 
All in all it was a great experience that I hope to repeat again next year at a lighter weight and maybe a cooler time of year.  I feel accomplished in that I set a goal seven weeks ago that intimidated me and that I was not sure I could complete.  It challenged me and pushed me far from my comfort zone.  I worked hard to accomplish the goal and look forward to new challenges.  I know that I need to continue working hard towards a healthy weight and probably even need to take it up a level. 

Finally thank you to Fat Cyclist for putting this event on.  I had only begun to read the blog a few weeks prior to registration for the event but I knew it would serve as the perfect motivator to get me started.  I am glad that I was able to do a very small part to help the work of Fat Cyclist and the Live Strong foundation is supporting research for the treatment and cure for cancer. 



6 comments:

  1. Great job! I love the kids' shirts: My dad goes... nowhere fast. Maybe I can join you on the 100 MON next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael - It would be fun to have you join me next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey is there a way to add email follow up comments? Google's Blogger service has that feature. I don't know you reply unless I check back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Done. I use blogger and did not know the option was missing but added it back to the template code, it should work now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet. I will try it out! I wasn't sure if you were on Blogger, WordPress, or some crazy open-source thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just googling for pics of some Canari jerseys and got to your page...
    Inspiring to say the least, and I have to take a bow at your hard work!
    Keep up chasing your dream, man! And don't forget to enjoy the journey, too.
    Greetings from Argentina!
    Fabian.

    ReplyDelete